Intramuscular Injections of Progesterone
- Wash hands.
- Assemble all of your supplies.
- Open the package with the 3-cc syringe attached to an 18 gauge 1 ½ inch needle.
- Pull metal top off the vial and wipe clean with an alcohol pad.
- Pull back the plunger of the syringe so the tip of the rubber lines up with the 1 cc mark.
- Insert needle into vial.
- Inject 1 cc of air into the vial.
- Turn the vial upside down and pull 1 cc of the oil out of the vial.
- Switch to the 22-gauge 1½ inch needle.
- With needle pointing up, tap on syringe to make sure there are no extra air bubbles. Push air out of the syringe as needed.
- The patient can lie down or stand. If the patient is standing, do not bear weight on the side of the injection.
- Clean area to be injected with alcohol and allow to air dry.
- With one hand, grasp a stack of muscle at the injection site. (See Figure 1 below for injection sites.)
- Place the needle completely into the muscle, approaching at a 90 degree angle.
- Pullback on the plunger of the syringe to check for blood at the point where the syringe meets the needle.
- If no blood, inject medicine and remove needle.
- If blood, pull the needle back just a bit, (not enough to remove the tip from the skin) and redirect then perform #16.
- Remove needle from skin.
- Use gauze to press on the injection site.
- Dispose of needle in a needle discard container.
Downloadable copy here